The first Gold LEED Certified projects in South Dakota, Cherapa Place, a six-story office complex with an underground parking structure, is a beautiful addition to the river front greenway in downtown Sioux Falls.
Generating new life on an old site, Cherapa Place rests on the former site of the Zip Feed Mill and towers over the east bank of the Big Sioux River.
The 142,000 square foot facility features an exterior skin of precast concrete with hand-set stone veneer, from a local quarry.
Other LEED elements of the project include:
- Native grasses as landscape, which virtually eliminates watering requirements
- White and Green roof. First project in South Dakota to have a vegetated roof
- Low E Glass – the amount of glass used allows for optimal views and daylight access. A high-test glazing on windows assures optimum energy efficiency
- Waterless Urinals in the men’s room
- Toilets that offer a choice in water flow depending on if it’s solid or liquid waste
- Certified Wood – The wood in the building comes from environmentally certified forests
- Direct/Indirect sensor lighting
- Preferred parking for Hybrid vehicles
- 80% of construction waste was diverted from landfill through use of recycling